MMN General Conference
2 March 2013, Ibis Bangkok Riverside Hotel, Bangkok, Thailand
On 2 March 2013 Mekong Migration Network (MMN) held its biennial General Conference in Bangkok. The General Conference opened with an introduction of all members, associates and observers present and confirmation of memberships, followed by a review of the MMN Terms of Partnership (ToP). The updated ToP is currently being distributed to member organisations and will be published on the MMN website shortly. In addition to a review of the ToP, the MMN governance structure was reviewed, outlining the roles of key decision-making and operational bodies.
The Secretariat gave an update on MMN’s activities from 2012, as well as current ongoing activities, including: the Arrest Detention and Deportation (ADD) project; participation in the 2012 ASEAN Forum on Migrant Labour; the publication of the Migrant Reflections 2000-2012 book; participation in the 2012 World Social Forum on Migration (WSFM); participation in the 2012 Asia Europe People’s Forum (AEPF); the Climate Change and Migration research project; the launch of the Speaking of Migration: Mekong Vocabulary on Migration book and the Legally Binding: Summary of Labour Laws in Mekong book and ongoing updates on their online interactive versions; the launch of the Resource Book on the Greater Mekong Subregion: In depth study on Border Economic Zones (BEZ) and Migration; the renewed MMN home website; and Burma/Myanmar advocacy project. MMN’s financial report giving an overview of funding and expenses for 2012-2013 was also presented.
MMN members then collectively developed MMN’s program of action for 2013-2014.
Election of New Steering Committee
An important outcome of the General Conference was the election of a new Steering Committee. New Steering Committee Members elect are as follows:
- Cambodia: Ms. Vichuta Ly, Director, Legal Support for Children and Women
- China (Yunnan): Ms. Han Jialing, Director, Migrant Worker’s Education and Action Research Center
- Laos: Dr. Kabmanivanh Phouxay*, Head of Research and Post Graduate Division, Faculty of Social Sciences, National University of Laos *Special extension of the term for one year
- Myanmar: To be elected once new organisations formally become members
- Thailand: Mr. Brahm Press, Program Officer, Migrant Health and Rights, Raks Thai Foundation
- Burmese community in Thailand (special seat): Ms. Wai Hnin Po, Director, Foundation for Education and Development
- Vietnam: Ms. Tuyet Thi Ngoc Huynh*, Consultant and Former Director, Center for Research & Consultancy for Development (CRCD) *Special extension of the term for one year
Elected as Chair of the new Steering Committee was Ms. Vichuta Ly, Director of Legal Support for Children and Women (LSCW), Cambodia.
MMN expresses its sincere thanks to the outgoing Steering Committee members for their dedication and hard work over the past term: Ms. Jackie Pollock (Thailand); Ms. Zhao Peilan (China); Mr. Htoo Chit (Burmese community in Thailand); Ms. Vichuta Ly (Cambodia); Dr. Kabmanivanh Phouxay (Laos); and Ms. Huynh Thi Ngoc Tuyet (Vietnam).
In particular, MMN wishes to thank Ms. Jackie Pollock for her commitment and strong leadership as Chair of the Steering Committee for the last 6 years. She is also a founding member of the MMN and has contributed enormously in developing the MMN as a strong advocacy oriented network since 2001.
MMN congratulates the new Steering Committee elect and looks forward to its leadership for 2013-2014.
For more information about the General Conference please contact the MMN Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org