Contextual Analysis of Migration in the Greater Mekong Subregion
Cross-border migration within the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) and beyond has taken place for many centuries, even millennia. Yet, when the Mekong Migration Network (MMN) was conceived of in the early 2000s, the knowledge of migration from a regional perspective was scant and collaboration between civil society organisations (CSOs) in GMS countries was limited and difficult, not least because of the sociopolitical climate at the time, language barriers, and a lack of mutual understanding of the legislative and policy framework in each country. In recognition of the rapidly changing issues relating to migration in the subregion, several CSOs and migrant rights advocates from each country in the GMS gathered in 2001 and decided to jointly map out migration issues and needs, as well as responses and strategies of responsible actors. This became the precursor to MMN’s creation.
Building on the information collected from the initiative in 2001, MMN and members have since jointly and periodically conducted contextual analysis of the issues surrounding migration within and beyond the GMS. Such issues include the evolving legislation and policies relating to migration in the region, changes in political and economic situations, climate change, and development. Based on our findings, MMN makes recommendations to various stakeholders to ensure that the rights and protection of migrants are upheld in spite of shifting contexts and the emergence of new migration-related issues.
- Workshop on the 15th Anniversary of Mekong Migration Network (2018)
- Bottom of ASEAN: Advocacy on Impact of Rushed Investment in “Last Frontier” countries–Burma/Myanmar, Cambodia and Laos on Labour and Migration (2012-2014)
- Research on Climate Change and Migration (2011-2013)
- In-depth Study on Border Economic Zones and Migration (2008-2012)
- Research on Arrest, Detention and Deportation in the Greater Mekong Subregion (2005-2012)
- Mekong Vocabulary on Labour Migration: Promoting a Common Language Understanding in the Region and Building a Regional Network for Safe Migration in the Greater Mekong Subregion (2011)
- Workshop on Migrants, Migration and Development in the Greater Mekong Subregion (2008)
- In-depth Study on the Quality of Life of Migrant Workers (2004-2005)
- Mapping Migration Issues, Needs and Responses in the Greater Mekong Subregion (2001-2002)